Thursday, December 8, 2011

Christmas thoughts...where will you be on Christmas morning?

I cannot believe Christmas is on Sunday again this year!  Seems like it was just a couple of years ago it happened, turns out it was seven.  What’s the problem?  Culture, Church culture has changed so much over the years that the question comes up, “Are we doing a service on Christmas morning?”  In the past the answer would have been, “Of course we are! It’s Jesus birthday!”  Well yes and no about the birthday thingy, but it is the time we celebrate His birth, I get that part.  So what do we do?  A reporter from our local newspaper called the other day to see what we were doing on that Sunday since it has been kind of a hot question all over.  I love when he calls because I know the way I answer will never be the right answer for many of his readers.  I usually read the paper online and the online edition allows readers to make comments.  Oh boy!  
He had called me another time to get my opinion when a big time college football coach was fired for doing some cheating, well mostly for not being honest.  This coach is well known and had written books on ethics and integrity and he was known to be a Christian.  The reporter asked how the church should respond to someone like this.  Well I gave my response and used some scriptures to talk about our responsibility to walk with him through this hard time.  Well the comments that came from that was amazing...and mean!  So now I get to be quoted as saying, “ We are not holding services that morning, not wanting to interrupt family time. Also we will let our people know who is doing services on Sunday so if they feel the need they can go.”  Sure enough as I read the article, there was my name and quote.  Ahhh...we all want to be in the paper don’t we? (well not if we broke the law...but to be quoted..sweet!)  Not really...not if you are going to read the comments...”those churches who are not having services on the Sunday are not churches at all! they are fake!” (not the exact words but close)  Goodness, I don’t feel fake. Well sometimes I suppose I do when I read about Jesus and look at my life...but not about church.  
Kind of harsh words from someone who does not know me...or our church family.  Well part of the disconnect is this...we don’t go to church...it is who we are.  Will our church family be in the same building on that Sunday celebrating Jesus? No...but we will celebrate...as the Church...in our homes...our family homes...and we will remember why we are together.  Do I feel guilty about not doing a Christmas celebration on that Sunday?  Not really...well in a religious way, sure I do.  But I remember Jesus having numerous arguments with the Pharisees over the Sabbath and how religious they had made it.  It was cumbersome and restrictive...it was a heavy load put upon the shoulders of the people...not at all a rest like God had intended.  Not a day to focus on God and all He had done for them...instead it became another rule to be kept and not broken. Jesus healed on the sabbath...and got threatened...set people free...and was criticized...because He broke a rule. 

So I can feel bad about not keeping a religious tradition...or I can freely worship the One who the day is set aside for...with my kids and grandkids, in-laws and outlaws and friends.  I choose that. Sorry...well no I am not sorry...should I be...I don’t think so...what do you think?


Now as I finish this blog, please do not hear me accusing those who will do Sunday Services on Christmas morning as being religious or legalistic...I just want the freedom to lead my fellowship the way I sense God giving me permission to lead...I may go to a friends celebration that Sunday...and will enjoy myself.  

Bill           

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's the thing about the media. That's why it's not a good idea to believe everything the media says. Can I get an "Amen!" (Sorry, media people...we still love you)

    Great point on the Christmas service (er, lack of). Religion gives us rules and weighs us down but relationship with God brings peace, rest, joy...his yolk is easy. Religion versus relationship with God. Sounds like a good book title (or blog).

    See you at the CHRISTMAS EVE service - oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The heart of music lives in the space between the words. The heart of worship lives in the space between the Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dan and I read this and agreed that you couldn't have said it better!!!

    ReplyDelete