Friday, September 16, 2011

I am all wet!!

You know I did something kind of crazy last Sunday morning...and it had nothing to do with running!  We had a baptism this week end and we held it during our worship time.  We had about 12 people to baptize, all ages, shapes and sizes and it was so much fun.  As I was preparing to talk to the candidates that morning I felt the Spirit nudge me a bit...towards doing something that seemed to make no sense at all.  I kept arguing with him as I was preparing...it seemed too weird to me...would people get it...would seem to be off the wall?  
After I talked with the group I asked my two leaders who were going to assist me in the tank to be ready for something that might happen at the very end...but I don’t think I actually told them...I might have hinted.  But they said OK.  So we did the baptism and it was so much fun...I so enjoy this part of my job.  The last person I baptized was my oldest grand child...Ian. Stacy came into the tank to help me do the honors...tears were flowing...amazing the things God has allowed me to do.  As Ian was exiting the tank I turned to my leader friends and asked them to come back into the tank...they came alongside me wondering what was next.  I then asked them to baptize me...yep...dunk me again.  Now I have already been baptized two times in my life...as a follower of Jesus...well one was to join a church...i always thought that was kind of strange. 
I just sensed God leading me to ask my friends to do me the honor of baptizing me...again.  I told the church that part of the reason was that Barb and I have this huge desire to finish our race well and in order to do that I need to be immersed in Him...to die to myself so that He can live. Still.  Everyday.  I know people who celebrate communion everyday...every morning.  I think it is a great idea...I know it is not practical but I think it would be great to be baptized everyday and I know we can in His Spirit...but every once in a while I think water helps.  To be buried in Him and to be raised with Him to walk in a new way.
So I got baptized on Sunday...it was strange I am sure for some to watch...but I am so glad I did.  To be baptized on the same day as my grandson and the others...to be baptized on 9/11. I also hope it spoke to others that this life we live for Jesus is a life of constant dying and living...dying to ourselves...our desires...our plans...to live for Him...His body...His church...His cause.  That, yes I am the leader, yes I am to be in front, to be in front of God on their behalf...and yes, I also need to die everyday to finish well...hey to live well now!  
What can I say...I so enjoy God...I so enjoy being His child...what did you say? I can’t hear you...I have water in my ear:)
Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment