Monday, September 19, 2011

Good sermon Bill! What?

OK this is going to be a bit personal again today...and I can say that a year or so ago I would have responded much differently than I can today.  We have been doing a series at church that I have titled or called “Choose Life.”  God dropped these thoughts on me as I was struck by the shallowness of the commitment of so many Christian leaders and the seemingly constant fall into immorality I was hearing about.  How could someone stand in front of a congregation, filled with family and friends, and live a lie...preach God’s word...counsel...and commit adultery?  So we began to look into God’s word and allow it to remind us that more is expected from us than living like the world...having the same morals...the same standards. 
Well as we began this series I have to also say we broke two or three major rules of doing church on a Sunday.  First our celebrations are running over 90 minutes...I know horrible huh? Sometimes they go an hour and forty-five minutes...well maybe even longer. Two, then we are reading long passages of scripture...I mean long passages...more than one maybe two or three...long passages.  I have watched many of the heavy hitters and read the books and know you should only read short passages...if you actually read any!  People cannot sit through a lot of reading of the word I guess...kind of boring...hmmm. think that may be a problem? And then we have talked about sin...yes sin...falling short of God’s glory.  Wanting to deal with it before it destroys us. Also the series has been going for quite a while now...again the books and experts tell us a series should be four to six weeks so people can know when it will end...sorry.
So I began this series with much angst and passion because my heart was broken over the condition of the Church...God’s church and its’ leaders.  The cornerstone passage has been 1 Timothy 6:11 where Paul tells young Timothy to “flee” certain things and to “pursue” things like righteousness, godliness, faith, etc.  I had to wonder when did we stop running away from ungodliness and running towards godliness?  When did it seem like a good idea to stand so close to the edge that when we slip over the edge it then seems like it is ok...God still loves us...we are under grace aren’t we? Don’t get legalistic now...oops I am getting sidetracked a bit here.
Well, the series began and I did not know how it would go over or how it would be received.  Since we began this journey to choose life, not death...to pursue holiness...to be holy as He is holy, I have heard one thing over and over. (I have heard many things but this is one) It is said in many ways but the subject is the same...one week or the next...one sermon or another.  Someone stops me and says,....”Bill, that is the best sermon I have ever heard you give.”  Hmmm. In the old days I would have cringed and figured well the others must have really been bad...I mean sixteen years of mediocre sermons...might need some counseling here.  But what I am sensing it is more that I myself received some major healing this past year that has removed a lot of the timidity I used to speak out of.  I also receive it in the vein that I am always trying to learn and improve what I do...I believe God deserves my best and for me to continue to grow in all areas of my life. And my church family deserves to have someone stand before them that is continuing on the journey just like they are...continuing to grow in following Jesus...being led by His Spirit.
I also know this subject has gripped my heart deeply...the condition of the Church...its leaders...of which I am one.  It comes from deep inside...a place only God could draw from...it also comes from a fear...the fear that I am not better than any of these people who have failed...I don’t think I am any stronger...more mature...more loved by God.  I am just me...a former factory worker that God has thrust into this role...and I am aware of my frailty...and the strength He gives.  I rest in Him...I desire to live from Him not me...His life in me. 
So when I hear the compliments I am encouraged that He still trusts me with His word...and I can give it right back to Him...the praise...it belongs to Him.  He allows me to hear the words to encourage me...and they do...a lot...but I cannot hold too tightly to them...they belong to Him.  After all it is His word...
Bill                      

1 comment:

  1. Great point Bishop. One of the points from the passage in 1 Tim that we the church seem to forget about is the mentor ship relationship Paul and Timothy had. We as leaders sometimes feel we need to do all the mentoring and don't need any Godly men breathing down our necks telling us how to be, or God forbid sow into our lives. just my thoughts
    BB

    ReplyDelete