Wednesday, April 13, 2011

We need Your grace....

I had written another blog last night I thought I would post today...but this thought has been heavy on my heart.  I think I am finding the blog kind of therapeutic and I hope this one does its’ work.  First let me share a scripture with you, one I shared a few weeks back, but I want to emphasize a different part of it, but one I don’t think the church can ignore much longer. In Hebrews 13 Paul mentions obeying leaders and how our leaders have to lead knowing they will give an account...to God. Then in verse 18 these three words are written, “Pray for us.”  In 1 Thessalonians Paul writes in 5:25, “Brothers, pray for us.”  In fact if you read Paul’s letters he requests prayer on many occasions.  I am beginning to think many leaders today have quit asking for prayer or the Church has quit praying for them but something is wrong and we need God’s help, desperately.
So on to my point...in the past few months I have heard of at least 8 leaders of different levels falling in moral failure.  Adultery...plain and simple...and it hurts.  This week I found out a fellow I consider to be a friend, one who I love and believe in came clean and admitted having an affair.  I was crushed...and I am pretty far removed from it really...well how far removed can we be when it is one of us...the Body of Christ...who falls.  I don’t stand in any judgement, rather I stand with a Holy fear before God praying for strength.  But questions come to me just like anyone else.  How?  Why?  Did no one see it coming?  God your people are falling apart!! Help!!!  Church pray for your leaders...always...never ceasing...please.
It is a reminder that just because God has allowed us to serve in the role of pastor, worship leader, or some other ministry leader, we are human and very fallible...even if we don’t want to admit it.  I think of the family...I think of the church family...I think of those who do not yet know Jesus and this is another mark that confirms the church is made up of hypocrites...yes it is...not all but some for sure.  Secret lives lived out by living a lie...standing up in front of a congregation all the time a dark secret has to be eating away at them.  Doesn’t it?  Shouldn’t it? 
This blog is about a regular guy trying to live in Christ and fulfill the call of God in my life.  Barb and I talked this past Sunday about our desire to finish our race well as we turn 60 this year. We see the years in front of us as being filled with great potential and great things done in the kingdom. Now I am reminded there is no cruising in the kingdom and that we have an enemy who laughs loudly when we fall short of the finish line.  There is no letting up to coast across the line, it is a battle right up to the point we meet Jesus.  One moment of letting my mind wander in the wrong direction, one thought of how strong I am spiritually, forgetting who I am living for and the cause we have been called to live for and even to die for.  Living for my own happiness or comfort...me being center rather than Jesus...It happens...too often...to good people...to good churches...it hurts...everyone. I have to ask as a leader, pastor...where is the fear of the Lord?  Have we forgotten He is all knowing...have we decided since He is love, He can only love us and not discipline us?  
So this regular guy who has his own stuff would ask you to pray for him...he needs it...wants it...you need to do it...you want to.  I am humbled...confused...
hurting...concerned...and holding onto Jesus tighter and tighter.  
Titus 2:11,12, “For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men.  It teaches us to say “NO” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope.”                  
God pour your grace on your church and its leaders...please!
Bill

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder!!! I am often times guilty of forgetting to pray for my leaders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing the wisdom Gods given you and for holding the course in our storm filled world. Lord bless you, and my prays are with you and Barb. As for all our leaders in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill, that previous comment was from Bob, but I heartily agree with him. We love you and Barb, and the little part of Christ's Church that you steward with your whole heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm praying for you, my friend. --tim

    ReplyDelete