Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Really!!!

Boy talk about mood swings...after you do this pastor thing for a while you can begin to get in a bit of a groove and feel like you have pretty much seen everything...or at least enough to feel kind of prepared.  But in so many situations you really are hardly ever prepared...you get by...with the grace of God...the empowering grace of God...I think one of the things that I can struggle with is I think the whole wide world revolves around me...and even without thinking I can slip into “what will this mean for me?” phase. Ever been there?  Maybe you never have visited that place but I can...
A good leader in our church was killed in a plane accident yesterday, our youth Pastor Jeremy Tate.  He and Laura had just stepped into the “official” role of youth pastor and I was so looking forward to seeing God use him to impact our kids...and he is gone.  When I began to hear the news of the plane crash I tried to deny he was on  the plane...because “I” did not want to believe it.  Then we began to realize it was him and how was “I”going to help out?  This was hard for “me” to deal with.  It was knocking “my” world for a loop and creating all kinds of emotions in me...”I” have to look good for others...but “I” did not feel good...”I” have to be strong for others...”I” sure do not feel strong...”I”have to have some answers to the questions that will be asked...”I” have no answers... This is definitely one of those times “I” tell God He should have made me smarter or at least stronger...”My grace is sufficient,” He says....  
Finally I take my eyes off of myself to make sure the real victims here are being taken care of...a wonderful wife with a beautiful smile and a great laugh...three beautiful kids at various stages of life...Jeremy was one of the best family guys I have ever been around, which is one of the reasons I was so looking forward to him working with our kids...he set an example on how ladies are to be treated and I wanted our kids to be close to that...”I” did really want that...our kids need it.  
My world  was interrupted...theirs was smashed...doesn’t compare...doesn’t compute.  So I have taken my eyes off of myself and put them where they belong...on Jesus...and this family...and I never want to take my eyes of either one...it just cannot happen...”I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.  “In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart! I have overcome the world.Jn.16:33              
More to come....If you have a chance look at the lyrics or listen  to the song, “How He Loves”...this song was written following an incident similar to the one that we just lived through...   
Bill

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Bill-
    Jeff and Chelsie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill I am sorry to hear about this and will be praying for your family and church family. I will be praying for wisdom as you and your church family process this and proceed through this time. Blessings on all of you and all who are involved. Sincerly Pete
    PS: thanks for this timely post for those that have been touched and will be touched by your sincere and honest interaction in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Bill and Barb, Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Jeremy was, just as you described Bill, a man of God. Jesus wants you to lean on Him and be comforted. Only He has the answers, and by his grace and mercy, Our awesome God, will take our pain and bring us joy and thanksgiving through this tradgedy. God is so good and wants you to be like a child and just come to Him, cry out to him He will be strong for you. Love you, Debbie

    ReplyDelete