Tuesday, November 1, 2011

wonderings about my vineyard family

I think I am feeling a bit feisty today so I want to let my feelings be known on a couple of subjects.  Now I want to say this is my personal blog and the things I write here are my personal feelings...but really most of what I say I tell my church family.  But it is still my thoughts and my thoughts only.
So let me begin with this...I am part of and association of churches called Vineyard...we are kind of in denial about whether we are a denomination or not but...if it walks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck...it is a duck!  As we connected with the Vineyard the leader, John Wimber, was still alive and giving leadership tot he movement...and it was a movement.  We were part of what was labeled the “Third Wave” movement in which the things of the Spirit were being embraced by more evangelical churches and people were not leaving their churches, just allowing the Spirit to have more freedom. (very simple explanation)  So we did not see ourselves as pentecostals or even charismatics just empowered people.  Two fellows in the Vineyard wrote a book titled “Empowered Evangelicals” to give a little more background on how we saw things in the church and the things of the Spirit.  
I can remember when we would get together it could get kind of crazy really....laughing, crying, jumping, falling all going on at the same time.  Us crazy Empowered Evangelicals...we are so much more civilized today...calm...accepted...loved. At one point the prophetic moved powerfully in and around us and now most of the prophetic voices have moved on to other families...places where they are accepted and not looked down at.  Todays modern prophetic movement could use some leadership I wonder if we did not miss out on what we could have had there if we would have stayed with it and gave them some care...hmmm...oh well. So let me tell you what I see now a days...we are no longer “Empowered Evangelicals” we are evangelicals...period.  Not a bad thing really...but we had so much more...and others have gladly ran with it while we choose to look more together.  My friend Roger from the Lutheran  Church asks me questions about the Vineyard and assumes we are a signs and wonder movement and I have to tell Him no not really...we are just a group I wonder about...not many signs.  We were birthed out of a power evangelism move and one where healing was out in front and even servant evangelism was spawned out of us and yet others have taken the banner of healing and evangelism and run with it while we point to our books about it and remind them we started it...we might not be doing it now...but once we did.  Even servant evangelism at its foundation was supposed to be immersed in the Holy Spirit looking for divine encounters as we passed out drinks or washed cars.  We were not just trying to be nice people, although that isn’t all bad, but we were empowered people serving those that Jesus loves.  Anyone can give away a coke but not everyone can give away  a coke and also have a prophetic word for the person that might unlock his heart and let God move.  
So we are now a group of churches where it used to be if someone visited from another Vineyard they would know they could expect passionate worship, helpful message and allowing time for the Spirit of God to move.  Now if they come to us they are expecting short worship time, funny videos, short message and to be home in under an hour or maybe 65 minutes.  So we worship long, allow God to speak, read lots of scripture and more ministry...and we may be there for 90 minutes or even longer! OH NO!!!! 
So what happened on the road to success? Well, maybe that is the problem...success...being accepted by the larger church family.  Having our books read and loved...being more seeker sensitive than Willow Creek...where did we go?  
We had a guy in a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday morning while I was out of town. Dave wanted Him in and I trust Dave so we went with it.  Now this guy was pretty much classic Pentecostal in his approach to the Holy Spirit and tongues...he was gifted as an evangelist more than a teacher so he offended a few.  But some were healed...some were filled with the Spirit and spoke in other tongues...yes tongues...I said it...and on a Sunday morning!  Some went out door to door doing evangelism afterwards...one man lead his neighbor to Christ after helping him work on his lawnmower and then helped the fellow pray to follow Jesus...now that does not happen every Sunday...at least around here. So when we got back home there were some questions that needed to be addressed and such...but that is like the old days in the Vineyard...let God move in someone...explain some stuff later...but enjoy the move of God.  Some of my friends may be more grown up than me and do not need the mess to clean up...cause it is about souls you know...souls being saved. Well after they are saved what do we tell them...hey there is this secret thing we did not want you to see before but now that you are in...here look at this. I forgot to tell you this part of that Sunday...two people came to Christ that morning...in the midst of people being healed and being filled with the Spirit two souls were rescued...three if you count the lawn mower story.  Imagine that...God rescued people in the mix of all that commotion...imagine that. 
Now before this sounds just like a cranky old 60 year old let me say I see some signs of life in our family of churches.  There is a real dissatisfaction with where we are concerning the Holy Spirit...we have some young guys and gals wanting more and going for it. Sadly we also have a lot of young leaders who have never had any experience with a move of the Spirit...don’t really even know what I am talking about right now.  How did that happen...we have a ministry school...we have large churches...why don’t our young leaders know these things?  You tell me....God move among us now and forever...remind us of our heritage who you called us to be.  I am not looking back longing just for the old days...I am longing for the God of the old days...the todays...and the tomorrows.  He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow...come Holy Spirit.  Will write more tomorrow on my other thoughts....
Bill 
   

3 comments:

  1. Well spoken, Bill. As I recall, it was a move of the Spirit that convinced John W. to just say no to denominationalism in the late 80’s. Those days, when the prophetic voices intersected the Vineyard were pretty crazy -- caused a lot of consternation. Something happened when we lost our innocence as a movement. Doing the stuff has apparently given way, in some circles, to doing some of the stuff. Humans change. He doesn’t.
    Geoff Mandeville

    ReplyDelete
  2. For what it's worth, I still see and experience the radical heart of Vineyard when I worship with you guys. The issue -- if it is really an issue -- is that the spirituality that birthed the Vineyard is now very familiar to a lot of people. Routine will kill passion, unless we all work to put the "awe" back in Yaweh. (Ok, I had to misspell God's name to make that work, but I think He's OK with that *smile*.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it will always be true that "everyone gets to play." Not sure exactly what John Wimber meant by that but, to me, it means everybody is an authorized producer of worship or prayer or prophecy or intercession or hospitality -- not just a consumer or spectator. We are all empowered to be "first responders." Now *that* should keep us from becoming too denominational!

    ReplyDelete