Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Broad shoulders


I was thinking today...well it is Wednesday and that is a good day to start thinking
on, don’t you think?  Anyway I have said on here that I came into being a pastor pretty reluctantly, truth be told.  I have always joked that I was a worship leader and everyone likes the worship person...not always the same with the pastor:)  Just my observation.  Anyway so I reluctantly say yes to God’s call but I will also say I have not stayed in reluctantly but love what I do.  I think as we put off the expectations of others and rested in God’s expectations it has become even more joyful.  
This week I have had a couple more “father” moments to think about.  One, our former college pastor is now at another local church body.  This week he announced the vision and plans for his new adventure with God and while it is fun hearing him dream and plan...part of me wrestles with hurt and even bit of jealousy maybe.  This is one of “my” kid not theirs...I am so proud of him and yet want him to be where I am not over there.  He has a new vision...for a huge group of people...but what about the one he had here...to set the campus on fire for God?  Is it in there?  Oh well, I am 60 you know...I can feel a bit melancholy if I want to.  But I am SO PROUD OF HIM...it then becomes clear this is just part of being a dad...growing them up and they leave to go out on their own...hopefully knowing I have his back.
Met another young leader today...just got back from overseas trip...doing amazing kingdom things.  I have heard Pastor Bill Johnson talk about building things in such a way in the church, that our ceilings, our high points are the floors the next group will work from. I don’t want our young leaders to have to start from the ground up, as we like to say.  I want them to begin in the highest place and go up from there...higher and higher...bigger and bigger...better and better.  The image Johnson gave was them standing on our shoulders to be able to see better, to get a better view.  These two are two of many God has brought across our path and I have such a hopeful outlook for the Church if Jesus tarries a bit longer...it will be in good hands...it will go forward and higher.
I am at a point of my life where many of my friends my age are transitioning out of leadership...I am just transitioning in myself...so while it is getting closer to pass the baton it is not time yet...I am still running...slower...gimpier...enjoying it more.  Go get ‘em kids...just know I am still running with you...maybe in the back of the pack...but still running...cheering you on to greater things...but not dropping out.
Bill              

1 comment:

  1. Bill, I love how you carry the Father's heart. It is such an encouragement to see you model Luke 1:17. :)

    ReplyDelete