Thursday, July 28, 2011

blowing in the wind????

Last week I mentioned we had been on a four day motorcycle ride with some friends in Indiana.  This really is a great group to hang out with and to ride with.  One evening we were sitting and talking and Don had a recollection of a conversation he had been in with Ray.  Someone asked Ray, what was it that Ray liked so much about riding motorcycles.  What was it that kept Ray coming back for more on his motorcycle? (Don’t worry this is not going to be a motorcycle recruiting story)  Ray quickly said, “It’s the wind, really it’s the wind.” (not sure if I have the exact quote but close enough for MY blog)  I thought about that this past week as I got on my bike one day, leaving the church after VBS.  I had the opportunity to meet my wife and another person for lunch...I headed that direction...and kept riding...just kept going.  The thought entered my mind of how much fun it would be to just keep going one day...see where I might end up...(well if I did not take Barb, I would end up in big trouble:)  
Then I thought, it is the wind that makes riding so enjoyable, something about feeling the wind blowing and not being cooped up in a car that just feels so freeing.  I am sure there other things that you may do that gives you the same feeling...but too bad, this is my story.  Well, Sunday after church I had some down time to reflect...I so enjoy our celebrations when we gather to worship and enjoy God’s presence.  I thought about what is it I so enjoy about this time we gather?  I have been in hundreds of worship services of different kinds and I enjoy most of them for sure.  But I really enjoy our times together...the worship, the kids, the chance to teach, all of it.  Then the thought came to me, “It’s the wind...I enjoy the wind in our services.” 
Wind!!!??? Now you may think I have lost my last marble, but hear me out.  If you remember in Acts 2 as the spirit fell on the believers it said, “Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven.”  The Hebrew word “Ruah” is translated “spirit” also means, breath, air, wind...In John 20:22 “ And with that He breathed on them and said, “ Receive the Holy Spirit.”  The Spirit moves about and you cannot see Him...yet you can see the impact of Him moving on others...you may even feel Him move yourself. I talked to a young guy Sunday, someone kind of new to our celebrations...he said, “I don’t get it...during worship I will just start crying...no reason...tears.”  Me too...I don’t understand everything that happens when He moves about...but I so enjoy when He does.  
Jesus talks to Nicodemus in John 3 and He then says, “I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and Spirit.  Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit.  You should not be surprised at my saying, “You must be born again.” THE WIND BLOWS WHEREVER IT PLEASES. You hear its sound,  but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”     
Yeah...it’s the wind...I love the wind...But...but you know some people are not big fans (no pun intended) of the wind.  Wind messes up your hair...makes waves on the water...might cool things off a bit.  We have a willow tree in our front yard and if we get a big wind, our yard will be full of little branches that have to be cleaned up...by me!  Hate it. 
Wind in the church has some of the same effects...can cause a mess...move things around...”Blows where it pleases” Jesus said. The Spirit moves about and can irritate people...you know messing with schedules...sermon preparation...song lists.  Moves where He wants...who He wants...when He wants.  I prefer the wind moving to a room filled with stale air...don’t you?  So I guess what I am saying is, when I invite the Holy Spirit to come, I am asking for the wind move across the room and rearrange things, if need be.  
So what is it about motor cycle riding that makes it so enjoyable??? As my old friend Ray says, “It's the wind, man, it’s the wind.”  What makes the church gathering different from any other type gathering?  It’s the wind...all in the wind.  Without the wind it is stale and boring...I like the wind.  Come Holy Spirit, come.
Bill     
      

2 comments:

  1. Bill, you are exactly right. The wind of the Holy Spirit is the missing ingredient in some churches but in ours he moves freely and really touches my spirit much of the time. I feel free when I am at church and when I am worshiping at home or reading my Bible 'cause I let the Holy Spirit mess with me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, and the Holy Spirit wind doesn't mess up my hair like the motorcycle! Lol. (Well, I know you don't have that issue, Pastor Bill). ;)

    Hey, I love the analogy and I agree that it's the presence of the Holy Spirit that makes a church gathering different. I'm constantly amazed at how the people of our church operate at such a high level of (genuine) love. I've never experienced anything like it. I believe it flows down from the leaders as well as infiltrates our hearts as the Holy Spirit moves about.

    Gabriele, I like that you let the Holy Spirit "mess" with you! Sometimes that can be difficult when He is working in us, to heal us and break strongholds. Love the outcomes, though! Such a great God, with our best interests in mind!

    ReplyDelete